Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Great Moments in "Duh!"

The New York Times put out an editorial this week regarding Tom Delay, the former House majority leader. It included this breathtaking assertion:

But many of Mr. DeLay’s actions remain legal only because lawmakers have chosen
not to criminalize them.


This is the New York frigging Times, for cripes sake! I do not often agree with their political positions, but I always respected their smarts, at least till now. I know they have spell checkers, and I know they have fact checkers. Maybe they need thought checkers. Repeat after me, guys: “I will not print tautological statements above the fold.”

The statement does reveal an interesting mind set, however. Apparently, if the editors of the Times don’t like something, that means it ought to be illegal. It is clear that the Times thinks Tom Delay is a Very Bad Man, and must be punished even though his actions were all legal.

This is kind of like the left wing version of the current complaints about the Fourteenth Amendment. “I don’t like it when the children of illegal immigrants become citizens, solely because they were born in this country.” Really? What do you propose as an alternative? And while we’re on the subject, on what do you base your claim for citizenship?

Gridlock in government keeps looking better and better.

No comments: