Thursday, May 13, 2010

A New Passion: Off Topic Post

In the last couple of weeks a have discovered a new area of interest: molecular biology.

It started last year when I bought The Teaching Company course on Big History: The Big Bang, Life on Earth, and the Rise of Humanity. Fourteen billion years condensed into 48 lectures on CD. Woo-hoo!

One of the critical thresholds discussed in Big History was the origin of life on Earth. So a couple of months ago I bought the course The Origins of Life. To talk about the research into the origin of life, you have to talk about biochemistry. There is also a chicken and egg type of problem with the origin of life. To be recognizable as life, the organism has to have both metabolism, a way of extracting energy from the environment, and inheritable reproduction, a way of making copies of itself. Which came first, and how did they combine? Nobody knows ... yet.

One of the lectures in The Origins of Life course covered the basics of genetic coding, how RNA is built out of DNA, and how proteins are assembled by RNA. I was hooked. I know we can splice DNA, and I know we have sequenced the human genome, but I don't know what that means. So I'm on a journey to find out.

My current Teaching Company course is on fundamentals of biology, which includes a number of lectures on cellular mechanics. After listening to a couple of lectures, I went online and did some searches for molecular biology. I found a Berkeley molecular biology course, and listened to a couple of lectures. Different perspectives, but not as well structured as The Teaching Company course.

Then, on a whim, I went to YouTube and typed in "DNA Replication." I hit the mother lode. It turns out there are tons of animations for all kinds of biological processes: DNA replication, translation, and transcription. Under metabolism, there are animations for glucolysis, the Krebs cycle, the citric acid cycle, and ATP synthase.

The animations run the gamut from block diagrams to real time scale reproductions of cellular processes. What is most amazing to me is that we now actually know the shapes of the various large molecules in these processes.

This is a whole new area of human knowledge for me to explore, and I can totally get my geek on doing so. I foresee hours of fun chasing down the minutiae of various biochemical processes.

Yeah, I'm a nerd. You got a problem with that?

No comments: