Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Medical Care

The Obama administration is putting on a full court press to get their health care legislation passed before Congress goes into recess in August. Since the bill is about twelve hundred pages long, quick passage would mean that most of the Representatives and Senators voting on the bill would not have actually read it.

I understand the sense of urgency on the part of the administration. The longer the period of reflection and debate, the more time opponents of the President’s health care restructuring plan have to uncover flaws and mobilize opposition. Obama and his advisors want to enact their plan while they still have some momentum left from the election.

Political expediency does not make a rush to judgement a good idea, however. Since health care is currently about 16% of the American economy, such haste is a little scary to me.

The underlying assumption behind all the talk of universal coverage is the belief that all of the inhabitants of the United States have a right to unlimited medical care. You are entitled, solely by your residence in this country, to as much or as little health care as you feel you need. Hip replacement? Go wild. Dialysis three times a week? Knock yourself out.

I always thought I had a right to free speech and free assembly, that I could live where I wanted and how I wanted, without a lot of interference from the government. Apparently I missed the part where I was entitled to free medical care.

I wonder what other free stuff I’m owed as my birthright?

No comments: