Wednesday, January 5, 2011

2011 Goal Setting

I let other people make New Year’s resolutions. I do goal setting. I had a lot of success with my goals for last year, hitting the mark on eight out of nine. My targets for the year ahead will be pretty similar to last year’s, with some tweaking around the edges. The objectives fall into three rough categories: personal finance, professional development, and private life.

Personal Finance
Save 20% from earned income. The heavy lifting on this goal is done by salary contribution to a 401K, with accompanying company match. That combination gets me to 15%, with the last 5% done the old fashioned way—not spending all of my take home pay.
End the year with less than $70K in debt. The deleveraging that started in 2010 will continue in 2011. Working against that is my plan to buy a new car before the end of the year. Since I pay off my current car loan in March, every month I defer that big ticket purchase allows me to build a bigger down payment on the new vehicle. Meanwhile, I will continue to make extra equity payments on my home mortgage. The goal of $70 K is actually $10 grand more than 2010’s goal, but I’ll be trading a fully depreciated asset for a new one.
Earn $2000 from outside sources. Last year the target was to earn $2 grand from tax prep with H & R Block. I was only able to get halfway there. If tax preparation isn’t enough this year, I will have to find some other kind of moonlighting gig to take up the slack. Needless to say, my day job comes first.

Professional Development
Take 9 credit hours of graduate accounting classes. With the classes already taken, accomplishing this goal will get me 2/3 of the way towards finishing the prerequisites for a Masters degree in accounting.
Build two new Access databases. One of the classes taken last year was a course in database programming. The student project is up and running, although it still needs some tweaking. The goal here is to deepen and extend that knowledge by building two new projects.

Private Life
Run 60K of road races. I’ve upped this from last year’s goal of 50K. At least one race will be at the longer 10K distance.
Entertain at home at least once a month. This encompasses everything from private dinner parties to blow out barbeques with thirty guests.
Read Proust’s “Remembrance of Things Past.” I’ve only got 3700 pages left to go. In addition to Proust, I’m going to continue with my Shakespeare reading group for at least another six plays.

I keep these goals written on a Post-It note on my desk, to keep them present for all year long. I’ll post on my progress around the mid year mark.