Thursday, February 16, 2012

Adventures in Tax Land II

Actual conversation from the tax desk:
“I need a big refund this year. I really need money. What can you do?”

“Well, I see you only have a little bit of income on your W-2, and you didn’t have them take any withholding out of your check. Your income is actually below the Federal filing limit, so the good news is that you don’t owe any taxes. But since you didn’t pay anything in, you aren’t going to get a refund.”

“I got almost $1000 last year, and I need money even more now. That’s why I came to you. Why can’t you get me a refund?”

“Looking at last year’s return, I see you had unemployment compensation all the previous year, and the state withheld taxes. That’s what you got back. Did the unemployment run out last year?”

“Yeah. That’s why I need a refund. I have a friend who came here, and she got a big refund. Why can’t you do that for me?”

“Since you don’t have children, you have to pay more in withholding than you owe in taxes to get a refund.”

“So you’re saying I’m not going to get a check?”

The sense of entitlement is astonishing.