Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Mitt Romney's Tax Returns

Mitt Romney really took a beating over his failure to release his tax returns before theSouth Carolina primary. What I think he should have said was this:

"The Republican nominee traditionally releases his tax returns after he is designated the nominee, typically in April. If I am my party's nominee, I will follow that tradition. My opponents in this primary want me to release my tax return information now. They claim it is that is so that I can be 'vetted' by they and the media.

The real reason they want that information is so they can attack me for having more money than they do. I can understand that, but I'm not going to indulge them. As President, my policies will not be about attacking the rich (like the current administration), or about blaming the poor (like some of my opponents in this primary). Instead, my administration will concentrate on policies that create an economic environment where everyone's talents will take them as far as they can go. Americans aren't focused on envy of those who have more--they want the chance to do better on their own, without handouts from the government.

Yes, I'm wealthy. But nobody gave that money to me. I earned it by helping build businesses that returned money to their investors. I think that the Democrats are the party of class warfare and income redistribution. Republicans are the party of opportunity. So I'm not going to open the door for my primary opponents to attack me in that fashion."

Of course, he didn't say anything of the kind. He waffled on the issue, and it cost him. Big time.

No comments: