Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Positive Problems

Last January, late in the month, it was like somebody turned a switch. All of a sudden the phone started ringing with customers expediting their orders and increasing their release quantities. Ever since we've been playing catch up. The biggest issue has been getting enough raw material in house to support the increase in production.

This is an example of what I call "positive problems." These are the problems caused by growth in your business. Although stressful, they are drastically superior to the other kind of problem. For example, I'd rather spend my day wrestling with the question "how I am going to get raw material here to keep production going?" as opposed to the question "what am I going to do with all of the workers and not enough orders?" Or worse yet, "where is the cash coming from to meet payroll?"

The turn in the economy is beginning to look like a broad based phenomena to me. I spoke with one of our customers today, and she told me that her whole day had been spent expediting suppliers to cope with increases in customer demand. Upstream in my supply chain, lead times are moving out from both the steel mills and brass mills with whom I do business.

This increase in activity probably won't show up in the official government statistics for another quarter, but from where I'm sitting it looks like the growth cycle has picked up steam. I'm even hiring a couple of new people. In the meantime, we're considering working some overtime. That hasn't happened for well over a year.

No comments: