Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two Views of Dysfunction

I ran across the Werking Gerl blog the other day. It's like staring at the scene of an accident. You know you shouldn't look, but you just can't pull your eyes away. The blogger is a free lance writer based in Brooklyn. Starting last November she lost her regular job, and decided that the solution to her problems was to rely on the New York City public assistance system (AKA welfare). Unsurprisingly, the city's bureaucrats have not leapt to provide the woman with the assistance to which she believes she is entitled.

If you start at the beginning, and read forward in time, it is like watching a descent into madness. Her tone gets increasingly strident with every encounter. One of the things that interests me is that even when she was gainfully employed, she was already drawing food stamps. That tells me that from the very beginning, the blogger has been drawing more off the system than she has been paying in taxes.

Of course, it is her right to draw food stamps, and it is also her right to have her rent paid by the city. Once you've grasped that basic concept, her outrage becomes much more explicable.

Then there's Filthy Richmond. Now this is just hilarious. This blogger puts the fun in disfunction. As a matter of fact, I think I did this girl's taxes.

1 comment:

WerkingGerl said...

Buzz, wrong! I have been paying taxes for 20+ years and only recently have drawn food stamps. Your wrong ASSumption, Mister.

My job, as my blog will tell you--if you read it--was cut and cut and cut again until I was laid off completely last summer. That's why I needed food stamps (and still do) to supplement my income as do oh, so many Americans who have never before had to access the "welfare" system that we have, in fact, been paying into for decades.

Interesting way to put me and my experience down by calling me "strident"...