Friday, August 21, 2009

Will wonders never cease?

I didn't think it was possible.

I found a thoughtful, well-written article on the CBS website. It points out the Obamacare healthcare reform proposals are being sold on the basis that "reform" is necessary to reduce health care spending, but that the current proposals will, in fact, increase health care spending and make access to healthcare scarcer, not more availible.

The idea that it was thoughtful and well-written doesn't surprise me. Across the political spectrum, there are many excellent writers. For example, Paul Krugman irritates the hell out of me, but he writes well. Robert Reich has been known to cause me to actually froth at the mouth. Real foam, no kidding. But it is because he scores his points so well that he irks me so badly.

And it is not that the article pointed out flaws in the administration's healthcare proposals. I completely agreed with the points that were made. I am, after all, only slightly to the right...of Attila the Hun.

No, it was that the article appeared on the CBS website. I would have thought that as a bastion of the Eastern establishment, a pillar of the mainstream media, CBS would, if anything, be cheerleading for the administration's proposals.

What's next? Will Rachel Maddow start opposing sending more troops to Afghanistan?

No comments: