Sunday, September 14, 2008

Little Houses on the Prairie

Have you heard about the Tiny House movement? This is a very loose grouping of individuals, foundations and companies that are championing the concept of living in very small houses. As in a house of about 100 square feet, on the extreme end. I had a friend with a bigger tree house than that when I was a kid.

The New York Times had a front page article on the subject this week. You can read about it http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/11/garden/11tiny.html

The people who espouse the cause of tiny houses seem to fit into two categories. Some of them talk about the desire to simplify their lives, break free from materialistic consumer culture, ala Thoreau when he moved to Walden Pond. Others appear to be motivated by Green movement considerations. They talk about reducing their footprint, carbon and otherwise.

The companies that identify themselves as Tiny House companies both build these houses and sell plans. Most of these tiny houses are built on a trailer chassis, so the builder can make the house and then have it towed to the home site. Since the companies profiled in the Times article sold only a few hundred sets of plans combined last year, I think KB Homes and Toll Brothers are safe for the time being.

Now, I have to admit that the thought of reducing my maintenance and utility expenses can be mighty attractive at times. My wife and I live in a 3000 sq. ft. house. I think it’s ridiculous to have only two people in a house that size. She thinks that if she had more closet space, she could go out and buy more clothes, and if she had a larger attic, she could store more of her collection of Santas to bring out at Christmas (150 at last count). We continue to live in a 3000 square foot house, so I don't think aI need to tell you who wins the argument.

There does seem to be a holier than thou element to this whole business. “Look at me, I only need 500 square feet.” “That’s nuthin’. I’m down to 250 square feet. That’ll really save the planet.” If you really want to save money and simplify your life, you don’t need a specially built house.

A small living space built on a trailer chassis? Here in Red State country, we call that a single-wide mobile home.

No comments: