Monday, May 5, 2008

Energy Saving Tip: Wash Your Car

I washed and waxed my car this weekend for the first time in months. The weather finally cooperated, with clear skies and a warm sunny day. When I finished, I felt extra virtuous: not only did the car need a bath, but I improved my fuel efficiency at the same time.

Here's the science part: A dirty car has a rougher surface finish than a clean, freshly waxed car. That rougher surface finish creates more wind resistance, forcing the engine to work harder to overcome the drag. Hence, washing your car gives you better mileage.

Frankly, I'm not sure that the gain is all that significant. You probably get a much bigger mileage boost by driving with the windows closed. Driving with the windows down turns your car into a giant wind scoop, which can increase drag by up to 10%. But every little bit helps.

Besides, I was going to wash the car anyway. I think that one of the keys to saving money is to find ways to save by moving in a direction you were headed anyway. If you see a coupon for something you use regularly, cut it out. You don't have to be looking for pennies on the ground, but if you spot one, pick it up. (I picked up a penny today on the floor of my gym.) Saving money doesn't always have to be about sacrifice or struggle. Sometimes it can be about spending a pleasant hour or two outdoors on a spring day.

By the way, my ride looks great.

1 comment:

Gary said...

You forgot the science of a clean car is a happier, more efficient car.