Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Caught with Her Hand in the Cookie Jar

Hilary Clinton is getting a lot of flak for making a speech were she claimed that on a trip to Bosnia, her plane landed under sniper fire, and she had to make a run for the motorcade. Unfortunately, television coverage of the event shows nothing of the kind. Hilary and Chelsea wave frm the plane, saunter down the ramp, and go through a welcoming session right there on the tarmac, complete with little girl handing over a bouquet of flowers. About the only attack taking place is possibly an allergy attack from the pollen.

Today HRC admitted that she "misspoke." To paraphrase, I guess that depends upon what the definition of "misspoke" is.

Okay, look. Yesterday my production manager and I had a disagreement about whether total employment at our company had peaked at 98 employees or 101 employees in 2007. After pulling payroll records, I had to agree that I was wrong when I claimed only 98, instead of the correct 101. That's misspeaking.

If I had claimed that the extra 3 employees didn't count, because they were actually extraterrestial aliens who had landed a flying suacer at the company picnic and applied for jobs, that would be a little more than misspeaking. That would be making up events out of whole cloth.

If Hilary had said that she came under sniper fire in Bosnia, but it was actually Dafur, that would be misspeaking. But other than the start of deer season in Arkansas, when is it even remotely possible that she was shot at? And if she hasn't been shot at, how could she have come up with the story that she had?

Also interesting is that in a later interview she claimed "Last week for the first time in twelve years or so, I misspoke." She actually knows that its her first mistake in 12 years. I can't even be sure what I had for dinner last Wednesday, but she's sure that she hasn't made a false claim in over a decade. It makes you wonder what she could have said that made such a strong impression.

"Don't worry, Bill. I forgive you."

No comments: