Tuesday, January 15, 2008

And so it begins...

For a couple of years now, one of my New Year's resolutions has been to start my own blog. At one point I was going to name it "Everybody deserves my opinion," but even I have some small reserve of modesty. Seriously, I do think that sometimes I come up with stuff that is worth writing down and sharing, and a blog is the perfect way of doing that.

Although I expect this on-line journal to evolve over time, I'm going to start out with a focus on business issues and finance. I make my living as a manager at a samll manufacturing firm, and I have always been fascinated with business stories and the interaction of business and the wider world in which we live.

I have been reading a number of other finance blogs recently, just to see what is out there. I think I'll have a different spin on things than most of them. I was a little surprised at how much focus there is on frugality and saving. I was absolutely astonished to see how many members of the finance blogging community are carrying negative net worth. I've never had a negative net worth.

Not only do I have positive net worth, but my emergency fund has six months worth of cash, I invest regularly in my retirement funds, and I pay off my credit cards in full every month. (God, I sound full of myself, don't I? I can hear you now, dear reader: "What's this SOB want, a medal?")

My personal finance issues are more in the vein of how do I accelerate the process of increasing my net worth. Instead of reducing my spending (playing defense), I intend to struggle with the problem of increasing income (playing offense). But I also want to write about my reactions to the bigger business issues in the news these days.

So I intend to do a drunkard's walk of topics at first. After awhile, we'll see if a sharper focus arises out of my random musings.

No comments: